1. Alby JM, Ferreri M, Cabanne J, et al. Efficacy of tianeptine (StablonTM) for the treatment of major depression and dysthymia with somatic complaints. A comparative study versus fluoxetine (ProzacTM) [in French]. Ann Psychiatr 1993;8:136–44.
2. Ansseau M, Batallie M, Briole G, et al. Controlled comparison of tianeptine, alprazolam and mianserin in the treatment of adjustment disorders with anxiety and depression. Hum Psychopharmacology 1996;11:293–8.
3. Bonierbale M, Lancon C, Tignol J. The ELIXIR study: evaluation of sexual dysfunction in 4,557 depressed patients in France. Curr Med Res Opin 2003;19:114–24.
4. Brion S, Audrain S, de Bodinat C. Episodes of severe depression in subjects over 70 years of age. Efficacy and acceptability of tianeptine and mianserine [in French]. Presse Med 1996;25:461–8.
5. Brink CB, Harvey BH, Brand L. Tianeptine: a novel atypical antidepressant that may provide new insights in to the biomolecular basis of depression. Recent Pat CNS Drug Discov 2006;1:29–41.
6. Campbell AM, Park CR, Zoladz RR, et al. Pre-training administration of tianeptine, but not propranolol, protects hippocampus-dependent memory from being impaired by predator stress. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 2008;18:87–98.
7. Cassano GB, Heinze G, Lôo H, et al. A double-blind comparison of tianeptine, imipramine and placebo in the treatment of major depressive episodes. Eur Psychiatry 1996;11:254–9.
8. Chaby L, Grinsztein A, Weitzmann JJ, et al. Anxio-depressive disorders in menopausal and pre-menopausal women. Double-blind study of tianeptine vs. maprotiline [in French]. Presse Med 1993;22:1133–8.
9. Conrad CD, Lalea LA, Kuroda Y, et al. Chronic stress impairs rat spatial memory on the Y maze, and this effect is blocked by tianeptine pretreatment. Behav Neurosci 1996;110:1321–34.
10. Costa e Silva JA, Ruschel SI, Caetano D, et al. Placebo-controlled study of tianeptine in major depressive episodes. Neuropsychobiology 1997;35:24–9.
11. Czeh B, Michaelis T, Watanabe T, et al. Stress-induced changes in cerebral metabolites, hippocampal volume, and cell proliferation are prevented by antidepressant treatment with tianeptine. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2001;98:12796–801.
12. Dalery J, Dagens-Lafont V, DeBodinat C. Efficacy of tianeptine vs. placebo in the long-term treatment (16.5 months) of unipolar major recurrent depression [in French]. Encephale 1997;23:56–64.
13. Diamond DM, Campbell A, Park CR, et al. Preclinical research on stress, memory, and the brain in the development of pharmacotherapy for depression. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 2004;14(Suppl 5):S491–5.
14. Ducrocq F. Depression and sexual disorders [in French]. Encephale 1999;25:515–6.
15. El-Shafey H, Atteya A, el-Magd SA, Hassanein A, et al. Tianeptine can be effective in men with depression and erectile dysfunction. J Sex Med 2006;3:910–7.
16. Erecinska M, Silver IA. Metabolism and role of glutamate in mammalian brain. Prog Neurobiol 1990;35:245–96.
17. Faltus F, Novotny V, Raboch J, Zucha I. Tianeptine for the treatment of major depressive episode: a double-blind study versus fluoxetine. Eur Psychiatry 2000;15(Suppl 2):419S.
18. Fattaccini CM, Bolanos-Jimenez F, Gozlan H, Hamon M. Tianeptine stimulates uptake of 5-hydroxytriptamine in vivo in the rat brain. Neuropharmacology 1990;29:1–8.
19. Guelfi JD, Pichot P, Dreyfus JF. Efficacy of tianeptine in anxious-depressed patients: results of controlled multicenter trial versus amitriptyline. Neuropsychobiology 1989;22:41–8.
20. Guelfi JD, Bouhassira M, Bonett-Perrin E, et al. Study of the efficacy of fluoxetine versus tianeptine in the treatment of elderly depressed patients followed in general practice [in French]. Encephale 1999;25:265–70.
21. Invernizzi G, Aguglia E, Bertolino A, et al. The efficacy and safety of tianeptine in the treatment of depressive disorder: results of a controlled double-blind multi-center study vs. amitriptyline. Neuropsychobiology 1994;30:85–93.
22. Jaffard R, Mocaer E, Poignant JC, et al. Effects of tianeptine on spontaneous alternation, simple and concurrent spatial discrimination learning and on alcohol-induced alternation deficits in mice. Behav Pharmacol 1991;2:37–46.
23. Kamoun A, Delalleau B, Ozun M. Can a serotonin uptake agonist be an authentic antidepressant? Results of a multicenter, multinational therapeutic trial [in French]. Encephale 1994;20:521–5.
24. Kasper S, Olié JP. A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials of tianeptine versus SSRI in the short-term treatment of depression. Eur Psychiatry 2002;17(Suppl 3):331–40.
25. Kasper S, McEwen BS. Neurobiological and clinical effects of the antidepressant tianeptine. CNS Drugs 2008;22:15–26.
26. Lepine JP, Altamura C, Ansseau M, et al. Tianeptine and paroxetine in major depressive disorder, with a special focus on the anxious component in depression: an international, 6-week double-blind study. Hum Psychopharmacol 2001;16:219–27.
27. Lôo H, Malka R, Defrance R, et al. Tianeptine and amitriptyline: controlled double-blind trial in depressed alcoholic patients. Neuropsychobiology 1988;19:79–85.
28. Lôo H, Saiz-Ruiz J, Costa-e-Silva JACE, et al. Efficacy and safety of tianeptine in the treatment of depressive disorders in comparison with fluoxetine. J Affect Disord 1999;56:109–18.
29. Magarinos AM, Deslandes A, McEwen BS. Effects of antidepressants and benzodiazepine treatments on the dendritic structure of CA3 pyramidal neurons after chronic stress. Eur J Pharmacol 1999;371:113–22.
30. Malagie I, Deslandes A, Gardier AM. Effects of acute and chronic tianeptine administration on serotonin outflow in rats: comparison with paroxetine by using in vivo microdialysis. Eur J Pharmacol 2000;403:55–65.
31. McEwen B, Chattary S, Diamond DM, Jay TM, et al. The neurobiological properties of tianeptine (Stablon): from monoamine hypothesis to glutamatergic modulation. Mol Psychiatry 2010;15:237–49.
32. McEwen BS, Olié JP. Neurobiology of mood, anxiety, and emotions as revealed by studies of a unique antidepressant: tianeptine. Mol Psychiatry 2005;10:525–37.
33. Mennini T, Mocaer E, Garattini S. Tianeptine, a selective enhancer of serotonin uptake in rat brain. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 1987;336:478–82.
34. Neuraxpharm. Fachinformation Tianeurax® (Stand 2012).
35. Novotný V, Faltus F. Tianeptine and fluoxetine in major depression: a 6-week randomised double-blind study. Hum Psychopharmacol 2002;17:299–303.
36. Pineyro G, Deveault L, de Montigny C, Blier P. Effect of prolonged administration of tianeptine on 5-HT neurotransmission: an electrophysiological study in the rat hippocampus and dorsal raphe. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 1995;351:119–25.
37. Paes de Sousa M, Figueira L, Ferreira L, et al. Efficacy and acceptability of tianeptine in the long-term treatment of major depression. Double-blind trial: tianeptine vs. clomipramine. Portugal: Servier Especialidades Farmacêticas, Lda. 2000. (Data on file).
38. Pillai AG, Munoz C, Chattarji S. The antidepressant tianeptine prevents the dendritic hypertrophy in the amygdala and increase in anxiety induced by chronic stress in the rat [abstract no. 762.1]. 34th Annual Meeting of the Society of Neuroscience, 2004, Oct 21–22, San Diego (CA).
39. Pittenger C, Duman RS. Stress, depression, and neuroplasticity: a convergence of mechanisms. Neuropsychopharmacology 2008;33:88–109.
40. Reznikov LR, Grillo CA, Piroli GG, et al. Acute stress-mediated increases in extracellular glutamate levels in the rat amygdala: differential effects of antidepressant treatment. Eur J Neurosci 2007;25:3109–14.
41. Riché C. The pharmacokinetics of tianeptine and its MC5 metabolite on repeated dosing in depressed adults. Servier, PMH 1574 01 021; Aug. 1991 (Data on file).
42. Robbins TW, Murphy ER. Behavioural pharmacology: 40+ years of progress, with a focus on glutamate receptors and cognition. Trends Pharmacol Sci 2006;27:141–8.
43. Rocher C, Spedding M, Munoz C, et al. Acute stress-induced changes in hippocampal/prefrontal circuits in rats: effects of antidepressants. Cereb Cortex 2004;14:224–9.
44. Shakesby AC, Anwyl R, Rowan MJ. Overcoming the effects of stress on synaptic plasticity in the intact hippocampus: rapid actions of serotonergic and antidepressant agents. J Neurosci 2002;22:3638–44.
45. Ŝvestka J, Synek O. Tianeptine versus dosulepine in the treatment of acute depressive disorders. A controlled study [abstract]. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 2000;10(Suppl 3):S252–3.
46. Szádóczky E, Füredi J. Efficacy and acceptability of tianeptine and sertraline in acute treatment phase of depression. Neuropsychopharmacologia Hungaria 2000;II:171–7.
47. Uzbay TI. Tianeptine: potential influences on neuroplasticity and novel pharmacological effects. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 2008;15:915–24.
48. Vandel P, Regina W, Bonin B, et al. Abuse of tianeptine. A case report [in French]. Encephale 1999;25:672–3.
49. Vouimba RM, Munoz C, Diamond DM. Differential effects of predator stress and the antidepressant tianeptine on physiological plasticity in the hippocampus and basolateral amygdala. Stress 2006;9:29–40.
50. Wagstaff AJ, Ormrod D, Spencer CM. Tianeptine. A review of its use in depressive disorders. CNS Drugs 2001;15:231–59.
51. Waintraub L, Septien L, Azoulay P. Efficacy and safety of tianeptine in major depression: evidence from a 3-month controlled clinical trial versus paroxetine. CNS Drugs 2002;16:65–75.
52. Watanabe Y, Gould E, Daniels DC, et al. Tianeptine attenuates stress-induced morphological changes in the hippocampus. Eur J Pharmacol 1992;222:157–62.
53. Wu GY, Cline HT. Stabilization of dendrite arbor structure in vivo by CaMKII. Science 1998;279:222–6.
54. Zarate Jr. CA, Du J, Quiroz J, et al. Regulation of cellular plasticity cascades in the pathophysiology and treatment of mood disorders: role of the glutamatergic system. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2003;1003:273–91.