1. Bauer MS, Mitchner L. What is a mood stabilizer? An evidence-based response. Am J Psychiatry 2004;161:3–18.
2. Berwaerts J, Lane R, Nuamah IF, Lim P, et al. Paliperidone extended-release as adjunctive therapy to lithium or valproate in the treatment of acute mania: a randomized, placebo-controlled study. J Affect Disord 2011;129:252–60.
3. Bowden CL, Vieta E, Ice KS, Schwartz JH, et al. Ziprasidone plus a mood stabilizer in subjects with bipolar I disorder: a 6-month, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial. J Clin Psychiatry 2010;71:130–7.
4. Gajwani P. Treatment-refractory bipolar disorder: classification to aid in clinical management. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2009;10:1907–15.
5. Geddes JR, Goodwin GM, Rendell J, Azorin JM, et al. Lithium plus valproate combination therapy versus monotherapy for relapse prevention in bipolar I disorder [BALANCE]: a randomised open-label trial. Lancet 2010;375:385–95.
6. Goldberg JF, Brooks JO, III, Kurita K, Hoblyn JC, et al. Depressive illness burden associated with complex polypharmacy in patients with bipolar disorder: findings from the STEP-BD. J Clin Psychiatry 2009;70:155–62.
7. Goodwin G, Fleischhacker W, Arango C, Baumann P, et al. Advantages and disadvantages of combination treatment with antipsychotics ECNP Consensus Meeting, March 2008, Nice. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 2009;19:520–32.
8. Grunze H, Vieta E, Goodwin GM, Bowden C, et al. The World Federation of Societies of Biological Psychiatry [WFSBP] guidelines for the biological treatment of bipolar disorders: update 2009 on the treatment of acute mania. World J Biol Psychiatry 2009;10:85–116.
9. Hassan M, Madhavan SS, Kalsekar ID, Makela EH, et al. Comparing adherence to and persistence with antipsychotic therapy among patients with bipolar disorder. Ann Pharmacother 2007;41:1812–8.
10. Houston JP, Tohen M, Degenhardt EK, Jamal HH, et al. Olanzapine-divalproex combination versus divalproex monotherapy in the treatment of bipolar mixed episodes: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Clin Psychiatry 2009;70:1540–7.
11. Kessing LV, Hansen MG, Andersen PK. Course of illness in depressive and bipolar disorders. Naturalistic study,1994–9. Br J Psychiatry 2004;185:372–7.
12. Kupka RW, Altshuler LL, Nolen WA, Suppes T, et al. Three times more days depressed than manic or hypomanic in both bipolar I and bipolar II disorder. Bipolar Disord 2007;9:531–5.
13. Marcus R, Khan A, Rollin L, Morris B, et al. Efficacy of aripiprazole adjunctive to lithium or valproate in the long-term treatment of patients with bipolar I disorder with an inadequate response to lithium or valproate monotherapy: a multicenter, double-blind, randomized study. Bipolar Disord 2011;13:133–44.
14. Merikangas KR, Akiskal HS, Angst J, Greenberg PE, et al. Lifetime and 12-month prevalence of bipolar spectrum disorder in the National Comorbidity Survey replication. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2007;64:543–52.
15. Perlis RH, Ostacher MJ, Patel JK, Marangell LB, et al. Predictors of recurrence in bipolar disorder: primary outcomes from the Systematic Treatment Enhancement Program for Bipolar Disorder [STEP-BD]. Am J Psychiatry 2006;163:217–24.
16. Perlis RH, Welge JA, Vornik LA, Hirschfeld RM, et al. Atypical antipsychotics in the treatment of mania: a meta-analysis of randomized, placebo-controlled trials. J Clin Psychiatry 2006;67:509–16.
17. Post RM, Altshuler LL, Frye MA, Suppes T, et al. Complexity of pharmacologic treatment required for sustained improvement in outpatients with bipolar disorder. J Clin Psychiatry 2010;71:1176–86.
18. Post RM, Leverich GS, Kupka RW, Keck PE, et al. Early-onset bipolar disorder and treatment delay are risk factors for poor outcome in adulthood. J Clin Psychiatry 2010;71:864–72.
19. Sachs G, Chengappa KN, Suppes T, Mullen JA, et al. Quetiapine with lithium or divalproex for the treatment of bipolar mania: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Bipolar Disord 2004;6:213–23.
20. Sachs GS, Grossman F, Ghaemi SN, Okamoto A, et al. Combination of a mood stabilizer with risperidone or haloperidol for treatment of acute mania: a double-blind, placebo-controlled comparison of efficacy and safety. Am J Psychiatry 2002;159:1146–54.
21. Scherk H, Pajonk FG, Leucht S. Second-generation antipsychotic agents in the treatment of acute mania: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2007;64:442–55.
22. Smith LA, Cornelius V, Warnock A, Tacchi MJ, et al. Pharmacological interventions for acute bipolar mania: a systematic review of randomized placebo-controlled trials. Bipolar Disord 2007;9:551–60.
23. Suppes T, Vieta E, Liu S, Brecher M, et al. Maintenance treatment for patients with bipolar I disorder: results from a north american study of quetiapine in combination with lithium or divalproex [trial 127]. Am J Psychiatry 2009;166:476–88.
24. Sussman N, Mullen J, Paulsson B, Vagero M. Rates of remission/euthymia with quetiapine in combination with lithium/divalproex for the treatment of acute mania. J Affect Disord 2007;100(Suppl 1):S55–S63.
25. Tohen M, Chengappa KN, Suppes T, Zarate CA, et al. Efficacy of olanzapine in combination with valproate or lithium in the treatment of mania in patients partially nonresponsive to valproate or lithium monotherapy. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2002;59:62–9.
26. Tohen M, Vieta E. Antipsychotic agents in the treatment of bipolar mania. Bipolar Disord 2009;11(Suppl 2):45–54.
27. Vieta E, Angst J, Reed C, Bertsch J, et al. Predictors of switching from mania to depression in a large observational study across Europe [EMBLEM]. J Affect Disord 2009;118:118–23.
28. Vieta E, Sanchez-Moreno J. Acute and long-term treatment of mania. Dialogues Clin Neurosci 2008;10:165–79.
29. Vieta E, Suppes T, Eggens I, Persson I, et al. Efficacy and safety of quetiapine in combination with lithium or divalproex for maintenance of patients with bipolar I disorder [international trial 126]. J Affect Disord 2008;109:251–63.
30. Vieta E, T’joen C, McQuade RD, Carson WH, Jr., et al. Efficacy of adjunctive aripiprazole to either valproate or lithium in bipolar mania patients partially nonresponsive to valproate/lithium monotherapy: a placebo-controlled study. Am J Psychiatry 2008;165:1316–25.
31. Wolfsperger M, Greil W, Rossler W, Grohmann R. Pharmacological treatment of acute mania in psychiatric in-patients between 1994 and 2004. J Affect Disord 2007;99:9–17.
32. Yatham LN, Grossman F, Augustyns I, Vieta E, et al. Mood stabilisers plus risperidone or placebo in the treatment of acute mania. International, double-blind, randomised controlled trial. Br J Psychiatry 2003;182:141–7.
33. Yatham LN, Kennedy SH, Schaffer A, Parikh SV, et al. Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments [CANMAT] and International Society for Bipolar Disorders [ISBD] collaborative update of CANMAT guidelines for the management of patients with bipolar disorder: update 2009. Bipolar Disord 2009;11:225–55.
34. Yatham LN, Paulsson B, Mullen J, Vagero AM. Quetiapine versus placebo in combination with lithium or divalproex for the treatment of bipolar mania. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2004;24:599–606.
35. Yatham LN, Vieta E, Young AH, Moller HJ, et al. A double blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of quetiapine as an add-on therapy to lithium or divalproex for the treatment of bipolar mania. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 2007;22:212–20.
36. Yildiz A, Vieta E, Leucht S, Baldessarini RJ. Efficacy of antimanic treatments: meta-analysis of randomized, controlled trials. Neuropsychopharmacology 2011;36:375–89.
Prof. Dr. med. Martin Schäfer, Klinik für Psychiatrie, Psychotherapie und Suchtmedizin, Kliniken Essen-Mitte, Henricistr. 92, 45136 Essen; Klinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Charité–Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Campus Charité Mitte, Berlin; E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org oder email@example.com